Ben Franklin: The Thirteen Necessary Virtues



1. TEMPERANCE. Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
節制:食不過飽、飲不過量
2. SILENCE. Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
慎言:不說對人對己無益的話,不參與閒談
3. ORDER. Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
有序:一切物品都應規律有序,每件事都應該安排時間完成
4. RESOLUTION. Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
決心:下決心去完成的事,下決心之後一定要完成
5. FRUGALITY. Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.
節儉:所花錢財必須於人或於己有利,不浪費一分一毫
6. INDUSTRY. Lose no time; be always employ’d in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
勤奮:不浪費時間,每一分鐘都做有用的事,摒棄一切不重要的行為
7. SINCERITY. Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.
誠實:不欺騙、傷害他人,思想要純潔公正,說話要實事求是
8. JUSTICE. Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
正直:不冤望傷害他人,不忽略自己能造福他人的責任
9. MODERATION. Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
中庸:避免趨於極端。受到應得懲罰,不要感到羞怒
10. CLEANLINESS. Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths, or habitation.
整潔:保持身體、衣服、工作和住所始終整齊乾淨
11. TRANQUILLITY. Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
鎮靜:不受瑣事、普通或難以避免的事故紛擾
12. CHASTITY. Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dulness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another’s peace or reputation.
忠貞:不亂搞男女關係,以免使大腦混沌、使身體虛弱或破壞自己亦或他人的安寧或名聲
13. HUMILITY. Imitate Jesus and Socrates.
謙卑:效仿基督或蘇格拉底